Max Robins

M. L. ‘Max’ Robins

President 1979 – 1983, Secretary 1970-1972
Life Member 1978
Max Robins

Max was a punishing right handed opening batsman and fast scorer against all bowlers. Max joined the club in the 1944-45 season when he played in the ‘Primary Schools’ Grade team which were second in the competition.

He played in the lower grades from the 1946 – 1949 seasons and in the next season was promoted to the ‘A’ Grade team at the age of 16 yrs in which he played until he was forced to transfer (Electorate Cricket) to the North Brisbane District club in 1952. From 1953/1954 to 1957/58 seasons he played for Valley’ District Cricket, captaining that clubs ‘A’ grade side from 1954-1958.

Max returned to South Brisbane in the 1958-59 season and thereafter played all of his cricket for Souths in the Grade competition. He played briefly in Toowoomba after his retirement from Grade cricket. Max was vice captain of the A grade tea at the beginning of the 1960-61 season, but took over as Captain in January 1961 when Dave Applegarth (Life member) transferred out of Brisbane for work. In the 1961-62 season he led the team to the clubs first ‘A’ Grade Premiership for 22 years and made it is ‘hat-trick’ of premierships in the two following seasons.

Max was later the reserve grade captain.

In addition to playing, Max was involved with the club over a 25 year period. Max contributed a great deal to the administration of the Clubs affairs. He was Honorary Asst Secretary from 1959 – 1963 and on the Selection committee from 1960 – 1964 and again in the 1969-70 season. Max was Secretary from 1970-1972, President from 1979-1983 and Delegate to Qld Cricket during that time.

Max was Secretary to the Qld Cricket Association (forerunner to Qld Cricket) and also Qld Rugby Union.

Following Max’s passing, his family have decided to honour him by donating the Max Robins Trophy for the best 2 Day opening batsman of the season.