Alan Marshal

Alan Marshal

Service Number 163


Alan Marshall 1904 – South Brisbane Cricket A Grade Premiers
Brisbane Grammar School remember Alan Marshal

Born – Warwick

Enlisted Brisbane 19/10/1914 (30 yrs of age)

Served with the 15th Battalion in Gallipoli as a Private where he caught Enteric Fever and was evacuated to Malta where he passed away from fever.

Died – Malta Military Hospital – 23/7/1915

Roll of Honour, Australian War Memorial (15th Battalion, WW1)

Buried – Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta, Grave 1, Row B3.

Australian War memorial link to Alan Marshal’s records

The Club’s first premiership came in 1900-1901 when the Club won the First Grade Premiership.

No doubt the most outstanding player for South Brisbane in the early years was Alan Marshal who in 1904/05 scored 221 runs for South Brisbane against Nundah. This score stood as the highest individual score until it was surpassed by Glenn Trimble who scored 230 n.o. against Wynnum-Manly in 1986-87.

He was a tall man, standing at 6ft 3″.

In 1909, while playing for Surrey, Alan Marshal was included in Wisden’s ‘Five Cricketers of the year’. In 1910 he returned to South Brisbane and played for the club until the outbreak of World War 1.

Alan enlisted with the Australian Infantry Force (AIF) and died on active service in Malta.

Lest We Forget.

Alan holds the following Qld Cricket Grade records:

Alan Marshal playing in Surrey
Newspaper Articles on Alan Marshal

In a dugout Marshal

Alan Marshal England cricket Article 1

Sths v toombul Marshall 1903

Alan’s Wikipedia Entry – click Here

Alan Marshal (12 June 1883, Warwick, Queensland, Australia – 23 July 1915, Imtarfa Military Hospital, Malta) was a cricketer who played first-class cricket for Queensland and for Surrey County Cricket Club.

Marshal was a hard-hitting middle-order batsman and a fast-medium bowler who got some spin off the pitch. He was 6 ft 3 ins in height.

Marshal had played just eleven games for Queensland – at that time not part of the Sheffield Shield competition – when he arrived in England in 1905. He proceeded to make more than 2,700 runs in club cricket, principally for W. G. Grace‘s London County Cricket Club, and also played a few first-class matches for amateur teams. In 1906, he did even better: in all cricket, he scored more than 4,300 runs in the season. Qualified by residence to play Championship cricket for Surrey in 1907, he passed 1,000 runs at a respectable average of almost 25 runs per innings.

But in 1908 his career took off: he scored 1,931 runs at an average of more than 40 runs per innings, and his clean hitting – he was particularly strong at driving – made him the sensation of the county cricket season. He was duly named as a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1909.

Marshal was unable to repeat the success of 1908, however. He scored 1,000 runs again for Surrey in 1909, but at a much reduced average. He was suspended for some games by the club committee following an incident when Surrey were playing Derbyshire at Chesterfield. The committee did not publicly give the reason for their decision but, according to Jack Hobbs‘ autobiography published in 1935, Marshal and some teammates had been heading and kicking a ball about in the street on their way to their hotel. A police constable asked Marshal for his name. However he refused to give it, so was taken to the police station. The case was sent to the Chief Constable, but he dismissed it and it did not reach court. Hobbs himself was not in Chesterfield, as he was playing for England at the time.[1]

After a handful of games at the start of the 1910 season, Marshal’s contract was ended. He returned to Australia, where he again appeared in occasional matches for Queensland, but with limited success.

His first-class figures were: 119 matches, 198 innings, 13 n.o., 5,177 runs, highest score 176, with an average of 27.98; 114 catches. Bowling: 119 wickets for 2,718 runs, at an average of 22.84. His best bowling was 7 for 41.

In World War I, he was one of the Australian troops sent to Gallipoli, where he caught enteric fever. He was evacuated to Malta, but died there. Alan Marshal was a great-uncle of actor Alan Marshal(1909–1961).

ESPN Obituary –click Here

Alan Marshal enlistment record